Building Early Literacy and Language Skills (BELLS)
Authors: Lucy Hart Paulson, Ph.D., Richard A. van den Pol, Linda Attridge Noble, Stacia Jepson
A Resource and Activity Guide for Preschool and Kindergarten
Building Early Literacy and Language Skills (BELLS) describes the importance of language and literacy development, the connection between the two, and the necessity of facilitating both in young children.
BELLS provides more than 70 developmentally appropriate activities build children’s language skills and increase their phonological and print awareness, cognitive communication, and self-help skills.
The creative, fun, and effective activities will help young children ages 3-5 develop early literacy language skills. Presented in friendly, easy to use format, these practical strategies and techniques make it possible for educators, service providers, and families of young children to nurture language development naturally and playfully.
These activities in BELLS are based on current research in developing reading and writing skills, but your young students will have a wonderful time as they participate in:
- Awesome Athletes
- Itsy Bitsy Spider Crawl
- Give a Moose a Muffin Circle Story
- We're Having a Puppet Show
- Many more engaging games and crafts
Enjoy the satisfaction of sending the children you work with gleefully down the road to literacy!
You'll be able to work more effectively with young children who are developing typically, as well as those who have developmental delays or disabilities. With Building Early Literacy and Language Skills you will:
- Engage children in playful, skill-building activities and recommended children's literature
- Gain a deeper understanding of the research, which strategies work and why they do
- Identify your children's strengths and weaknesses using the assessment component
- Learn what children (birth to age 5) naturally do with language and what you need to do to ensure they develop pre-literacy skills
- Be prepared to address common difficulties of language and literacy development
- Introduce writing simply and effectively
- Nurture the oral language-literacy connection and capitalize on it in your teaching
"The activities in
Building Early Literacy and Language Skills incorporate the principles, goals, and methods supported by our most credible intervention research
." Dr. Louis Cook Moats
"Building Early Literacy and Language Skills builds the foundational skills that research tells us are critical for literacy and language development, and children have fun doing it
." Dr. Patricia Mathes
University of Houston
Author, K-PALS (Peer-Assisted LIteracy Skills)